Enhanced Sonic 2 now available for iOS and Android

Enhanced Sonic 2 now available for iOS and Android

Postby Stealth » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:52 pm

Once again I've been working with Christian Whitehead and SEGA, this time to remake and enhance Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for iOS and Android devices. Many people have been looking forward to this one, and the wait is finally over!

The store listings and SEGA's release trailer contain more information about some of its not-to-be-missed special features:

Google Play Store listing
iOS App Store listing
Stealth
Site Admin

Re: Enhanced Sonic 2 now available for iOS and Android

Postby Driller » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:16 am

...Why on Earth is this version's Hidden Palace using the multiplayer MCZ BGM, rather than the real HPZ tune that was specifically composed by Masato Nakamura for the Zone and was included in Sonic 2 as an unused song? :?
Driller

Postby Stealth » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:01 am

Because, in actuality, the song that was used for the multiplayer version of Mystic Cave was specifically composed by Masato Nakamura for Hidden Palace Zone, where it was originally used in early development of the game. The only publicly-known build containing a functional version of Hidden Palace that doesn't still use Sonic 1 music uses that song. "The real HPZ tune" was originally composed in a non-looping form ill-suited for a level background song, strongly indicating that it was actually written originally to play in some short sequence of some kind. The fact that the looping version of the song plays when you use cheating devices or otherwise modified code/data to attempt to load Hidden Palace in the final version of Sonic 2 should be taken as no stronger indicator that they actually ever intended to use the song for Hidden Palace's level music (much less that this was what was planned from the start) than the visually-corrupted level should be taken to mean that they planned to intentionally make Hidden Palace an unplayable mess of garbage data, since it was never meant to be activated, and aside from the fact that much of its actual data was removed from the game entirely, any other data, including music ID, wasn't kept up-to-date as everything else in the game was shuffled around while moving toward the end of development. The only place you'll find the song used with the level is in fan games/hacks, of which there are many, and which are part of the reason so many people believe so firmly in this misinformation

Aside from that, the reason Hidden Palace was removed from the game in the first place was that overall, it didn't fit in well with the rest of the game. It was underdeveloped, the pacing clashed with how the rest of the game played, and they didn't know what to do with what they had. The only way it would ever have made it into the remake is if it were brought up-to-par with the rest of the game; otherwise, it wouldn't have been approved and would have been dropped all over again. Even if it were true that one of the (many) things that changed during development of the original game was that they intentionally switched Hidden Palace's background music to the unused song, it didn't suit the pace of the new version of the level (it clashes pretty hard, actually), so we chose to go with the original plan and use the original Hidden Palace song, which just happens to be the song they used for Mystic Cave 2p in the final version of the original game, from which Hidden Palace as a level was removed. As with the rest of the new version of the level, this was approved by Sonic Team
Stealth
Site Admin

Postby Arceusmaster1 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:21 pm

Really stealth, REALLY? Was it THAT hard to put a choice in the options menu? Is your ego really THAT precious to you? Seriously, just let us choose the music we want to play in the stage from the options menu. It'll make everyone happy.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvPszUSl3RY
Arceusmaster1

Postby Arceusmaster1 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:56 pm

Stealth, at least tell me you'll consider adding that choice.
Arceusmaster1

Postby Stealth » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:20 am

This is seriously still a thing, nearly two years later?

It's actually hilarious that you'd be so angry about something like this as to come screaming at me to change it after so much time. What kind of messed-up priorities do you have?

Point one: This is not a crappy fan hack with a million random and practically useless options; this is a professionally-created, commercial product. No matter how much you want it to be otherwise, it would be immensely ugly to have a menu option that basically says "SOME PEOPLE LIKE TWO DIFFERENT VERSIONS OF MUSIC FOR THIS ONE LEVEL THATS SECRET AND YOU MIGHT NOT PLAY IT ANYWAY BUT IN CASE YOU DO HERES AN OPTION TO CHANGE IT". Even if I wanted it to, which I don't, that wouldn't fly with the people I'd be answering to, SEGA and Sonic Team

Point two: As I already explained, that music only works with the level that was ultimately created if you're wearing a nostalgia filter, and if it were ever actually intentionally made to play for that level, it's very likely a contributing factor to the hard and absolute fact that the overall level was, indeed, originally scrapped for clashing with the rest of the game. We had to fix that or Sonic Team would have had us trash it again because it wouldn't belong in the final product any more than it did the original release. You're lucky that we were even capable of getting Hidden Palace and any of the other features we added approved at all; some were not approved, including the Egg Gauntlet bonus level, which they turned down because they didn't like some existing graphics being shown in a different color

Point three: If you can't enjoy what you have because you and whoever you talk to/watch/etc hyped yourselves up too much for song 0x10, then that's your fault, not ours. You chose what to believe and how firmly to believe it, and we had no part whatsoever in your decision. Hidden Palace's general existence was revealed about 22 years ago, with the release of Sonic 2 itself and thus song 0x10 about 21 years ago. Around 20 years ago was the first known instance of a regular fan gaining access to the broken Hidden Palace data in the final game, and 18-19 years ago was when anyone in the general online Sonic fan community was able to play Hidden Palace from the prototype. It was then another year or so before the first known fan game or hack containing Hidden Palace was ever created. If you haven't been around that long, then how you could be this attached to any aspect of Hidden Palace Zone is beyond me

Point four: If you really want to "nostalgia" yourself over "Hidden Palace", then you can access a replica of the original prototype Hidden Palace from the level select menu by entering 1, 9, 9, 2, 1, 1, 2, 4 and then 3, 3, 3, B, 10, 10, 10, 4, and then selecting Hidden Palace from the menu. You will be taken to a level that contains the exact layout from the known Sonic 2 prototypes, and, indeed, plays song 0x10 while you're in it

Point five: If it really matters sooo much that you absolutely have to have song 0x10 playing while you play the newly-created version of Hidden Palace, then you can go to the settings menu, turn music volume all the way down, create or get an MP3/Ogg/whatever of song 0x10, put that file on your mobile device, open your mobile device's music player, play that song, and switch back to the game with that song playing while you play the new version of Hidden Palace zone, and the sound effects will even still be playing properly. Apple and Google make a big deal of the fact that they want you to be able to play your music in the background for any app at all whether it's got its own music or not

Now, you could have been civil, but you weren't. I don't appreciate entitled brats bursting into my forum to bitchwhine at me. If you at all actually care about accessing this messageboard or any other public forum of discussion related in any way to any of my current or future projects, then consider this your one and only warning.
Stealth
Site Admin

Postby Arceusmaster1 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:17 pm

Alright, I'm sorry for being so rude about it. I just really like track 10, it's my favorite theme in the series, and that's not nostalgia talking, heck, I didn't even grow up with these games. And I know you can't spoil the level for people who haven't found it yet, but maybe the choice could be there after going through the level for the first time. I know you probably won't do that, ever, and you probably can't ever do that, but still, it would be nice if I could play through the level without muting the music or having to listen to mystic cave 2p (I've honestly never liked that theme). But at least I don't have to play through the level.
Arceusmaster1

Return to Updates